What I Love To Do
Steven Spilly is a young entrepreneur and a motivated sales professional having over twenty years’ experience across Advertising, E-Commerce, Digital, Publishing & Lead Generation who have single-handedly managed to struck a seam of online gold that could create more than a few waves in the reseller channel. Steven Spilly Live in Sydney, Australia
Enterprise Account Director | Foundry
Motivated and experienced professional with over 20 years sales experience across IT publishing, e-commerce, lead generation, ABM and Intent marketing. As an Enterprise Account Director at Foundry, I enjoy helping technology marketers and agencies drive awareness and achieve their objectives by engineering the right combination of media solutions – whether that involves advertising, demand generation, content, research or events.
Foundry is a leading software and martech solutions provider including a best-in-class Account-Based Marketing (ABM) platform, intent data platform, Data-as-a-Service and an email marketing platform built for B2B.
Position is Enterprise Account Director
Started in Feb 2022
Based in North Sydney, NSW
Sales – Account Director | TECH LEAD GEN
Founded company with offices based in North Sydney and Chatswood
• Established joint venture in The Philippines to build 60-seat outbound call centre with a team of 20 database developers.
• Generated and managed client base comprising of IT Publishers, Advertising Agencies, and IT vendors through phone sales calls and in-person meetings.
• Built revenue stream of >$3mil in the first year with strong, ongoinggrowth.
• Achieved profitability within 4 months of launch.
• Developed lead generation strategy to create over 2,000 leads per month ranging from business card leads to in-person sales appointments with a lead acceptance of >95%.
• Built and maintained loyal, long-term customer relationshipsthrough effective account management.
• Established clear performance goals and metrics for revenue, P&L,customer service and customer retention.
• Worked with clients to build lead generation campaigns to ensure high conversion rates for advertisers and ongoing campaign
• Monitored supplier operations to verify quality, delivery schedule and conformance to contract specifications.
• Mitigated regulatory risks by overseeing compliance visits and adhering to government regulations and protocol.
GLOBAL ONLINE SHOP MANAGER | LONELY PLANET PUBLICATIONS
Reported to Global E-Commerce Manager with P&L responsibility for the ‘Online Shop’ business unit.
• Responsible for meeting e-commerce revenue targets globally and for US, UK, and AU regions.
• Increased revenue for print products sold online by over 300%.
• Introduced new revenue stream through digital products sales which saw an additional increase in overall revenue of over 150%.Achieved significant increase in profitability through improved
efficiencies & integration, direct-to-consumer sales, and reduced COGs from digital product sales.
• Managed project to re-launch the e-commerce website though a partnership with US based software vendor.
• Forged partnerships with online content providers including Google, Yahoo!, NineMSN and Expedia.
• Managed project to digitise the full range of LP guidebooks to enable the purchase of digital chapters and custom digital guidebooks.
• Managed 4 customer staff and 2 content managers across 3 regions.
• Traveled to the offices in the US & UK regularly to drive customer service strategy and team building for the business unit in each region.
• Conducted job interviews and led employee performance evaluations to reward top performers.
• Reviewed sales reports and website analytics to maximise site traffic, conversion, and customer experience
• Represented company in trade shows and expos.
GENERAL MANAGER | PC ADVANTAGE
Reported to Board of parent company Marshall Investments.
• Restructured recent acquisition PC Auction to setup virtual inventory and drop-shipping and eliminate physical stock holding.
• Launched fixed price E-Commerce site, PC Advantage which achieved profitability within 2 months.
• Full P&L responsibility for both PC Auction and PC Advantage business units.
• Doubled overall revenue within 6 months.
• Reduced operating costs by over 80%.
• Generated high yield advertising revenue from IT vendors and manufacturers.
• Tracked website performance and monthly sales to generate reports for business development and planning.
• Worked with CFO of parent company to present monthly and quarterly reports to parent company.
MANAGING DIRECTOR | E-STORE
Assisted with generating seed funding through private investors locally and in the US.
• Launched Australia’s first online-only retail website with an initial product range of >120,000 IT products.
Partnered with leading IT vendors and distributors to establish virtual inventory and drop-shipping model, an industry first in Australia.
• Expanded product range to include consumer electronics, mobile phones, sporting goods, and whitegoods.
• Launched site within 3 months of inception with >$120K in revenue in the first month of trading, with growth to >$400K p/m within 3 months.
• Built peak revenues of $1.7m p.m. and over 17m p.a.
• Reached profitability within 6 months of launch.
• Oversaw PR and marketing to promote company awareness and branding, including hosting press conferences and interviews.
• Oversaw advertising sales in conjunction with Ad Sales exec which generated >$2m p.a. in revenue.
• Sold company to NASDAQ listed World Callnet Inc in 2003, which included 6-month management transition contract.
ADVERTISING SALES DIRECTOR | DWR PUBLISHING
6-month contract role reporting to CEO.
• Launched bi-monthly Computer Reseller News (CRN), which overtook the incumbent IT channel publication (ARN) as the industry leader within 4 months of launch.
• Motivated team 7 sales executives by setting daily, weekly, and monthly goals along with rewards.
• Achieved highest ever advertising revenue for the company.
• Established online advertising revenue streams.
• Ensured advertising and production deadlines were met for fortnightly and monthly publications.
NATIONAL ADVERTISING SALES MANAGER North Sydney, NSW
Reporting to Group Sales Manager.
• Promoted from Account Manager to National Ad Sales Manager within
6 months after consistently achieving highest individual sales revenue within company.
• Generated advertising revenue through cold calling, presentations and face-to-face meetings with advertisers and agencies.
• Managed and motivated team of 4 sales staff across 3 publications – PC Magazine, PC Week and Family PC magazines.
• Worked with Editorial teams locally and in US to ensure a coordinated advertising sales and content strategy.
• Assisted with the launch of ZDNet to introduce online advertising sales.
Boosted team morale and overall sales volume by creatingemployee incentives and sales contests.
• Ensured all advertising and production deadlines were met.
• Supplemented print advertising revenue with online, niche
publication, newspaper inserts, direct mail, and list rental.
• Managed and retained existing client accounts including 12 large
advertising agency accounts and up to 60 direct advertisers.
• Developed tool to track and monitor sales opportunities, deals
in progress, and completed contracts.
• Established numerous new accounts, often with direct, first-time
• Received company employee performance award after maintaining
record sales achievement.
NATIONAL ADVERTISING SALES MANAGER | FEDERAL PUBLISHING | Alexandria, NSW
Reporting to Group Publisher.
• Promoted from Account Manager to National Advertising Manager for ‘Your Computer’ magazine within 6 weeks.
• Consistently achieved the highest monthly sales revenue within the company.
• Exceeded the highest-ever advertising revenue for the publication by over 220%, beating sales targets by over 60%.
• Worked closely with Editor to adjust content strategy to ensure greater appeal to advertisers.
• Managed sales agents in VIC and WA as well as direct reports in NSW.
STEVEN SPILLY EDUCATION
- FINTECH BOOTCAMP • DEC 2021 – MAY 2022 THE UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY
- CERT III BUSINESS OPERATIONS • APR 2017 – SEP 2017 TAFE NSW
- EXECUTIVE MBA • 2002 – 2003 • AGSM – UNSW (DEFERRED)
- HSC • 1993 • CHRISTIAN COMMUNITY HIGH SCHOOL REGENTS PARK